Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Winter running = lots of laundry (+marathon training plan!)

One thing I've noticed about running in the winter is that it generates a lot of laundry because of all the layers and accessories (hats, gloves, etc). I'm doing a load of running stuff every two days it seems. Maybe for Christmas, I'll ask for some more gear so I don't have to do laundry as often....
Yesterday, I did an 8km run in the afternoon. When I left the house around 3:45, it was 12*C. By the time I got home around 4:45, it was dark and I was freezing! I couldn't believe how quickly things changed after the sun went down (4:08 was sunset, I believe).
Tonight was my usual spinning class, but sadly I couldn't go - I got called at the last minute to replace a sick teacher, who was supposed to do placement tests over the phone. Unfortunately, the tests were scheduled for the exact time of my spinning class and work takes priority over fun. I did, however, go out for a 5km afterwards, just a nice easy run. My average heart rate was only 171, with the max at 187. Now I know this might sound intense for some people, but for me, that's an easy effort. According to my Garmin, the whole run was in zones 1 and 2 - a first, I believe.
This morning, while I was waiting for the technicians to do their work in the basement (stage 6 million in the epic furnace replacement saga), I finally settled on a marathon training plan. It's the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan, with paces taken from McMillian Running. It looks much cooler in OneNote, where I have check-boxes for each of my workouts, but here it is:


Week
of
Easy
Speed
Easy
Long
Cross-Training (min. 1hr)
Weights
1
Jan. 23
 5km @7:07-7:26
 8km 
@6:12-6:28
 5km @7:07-7:26
 13km 
@7:07-7:45


2
Jan. 30
 5km @7:07-7:26
 8km 
@7:07-7:26
 5km @7:07-7:26
 15km 
@7:07-7:45


3
Feb. 6
 5km @7:07-7:26
 8km 
@6:12-6:28
 5km @7:07-7:26
 10km 
@7:07-7:45


4
Feb. 13
 5km @7:07-7:26
 10km @6:12-6:28
5km 
@7:07-7:26
 18km 
@7:07-7:45


5
Feb. 20
 5km @7:07-7:26
 10km @7:07-7:26
 5km @7:07-7:26
 20km 
@7:07-7:45


6
Feb. 27
 5km @7:07-7:26
 10km @6:12-6:28
 5km @7:07-7:26
 15km 
@7:07-7:45


7
March 5
 7km @7:07-7:26
 11km @6:12-6:28
 7km @7:07-7:26
 23km 
@7:07-7:45


8
March 12
 7km @7:07-7:26
 7km 
@7:07-7:26
 7km @7:07-7:26
 24km 
@7:07-7:45


9
March 19
 7km @7:07-7:26
 11km @6:12-6:28
 7km @7:07-7:26
 Half Marathon


10
March 26
 7km @7:07-7:26
 13km @6:12-6:28
 7km @7:07-7:26
 27km 
@7:07-7:45


11
April 2
 8km @7:07-7:26
 13km @7:07-7:26
 8km @7:07-7:26
 29km 
@7:07-7:45


12
April 9
 8km @7:07-7:26
 13km @6:12-6:28
 8km @7:07-7:26
 21km 
@7:07-7:45


13
April 16
 8km @7:07-7:26
 8km 
@6:12-6:28
 8km @7:07-7:26
 31km 
@7:07-7:45


14
April 23
 8km @7:07-7:26
13km @7:07-7:26
 8km @7:07-7:26
 20km 
@7:07-7:45


15
April 30
 8km @7:07-7:26
 8km
@6:12-6:28
 8km @7:07-7:26
 32km 
@7:07-7:45


16
May 7
 8km @7:07-7:26
 7km 
@6:12-6:28
 8km @7:07-7:26
 20km 
@7:07-7:45


17
May 14
 7km @7:07-7:26
 5km 
@7:07-7:26
 7km @7:07-7:26
 8km 
@7:07-7:45


18
May 21
 5km @7:07-7:26
 3km 
@7:07-7:26
 3km @7:07-7:26
 Ottawa Marathon


I plan on doing at least 1 cross-training workout/week as well as a strength workout. I was also looking at the Intermediate 1 plan, which adds a 5th day of running, but I wasn't sure if that'd be too much. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great plan! I would HIGHLY suggest you race every few weeks to test you capabilities and adjust your paces accordingly-you "should" get faster. I would also HIGHLY recommend doing various speedwork drills instead of tempo-type runs for speed (maybe you do that already?). Let me know if you'd like suggestions, being at the tail end of my marathon plan, I have several!! Really glad to see you using McMillan-there's A LOT of great info on that site.

    ReplyDelete