After an insanely busy workday Thursday (started at 8:30am, finished at 8:30pm), I ended up collapsing into bed without doing a run. (It also didn't help that it was freezing rain outside). Instead, my plan was to go to the gym early Friday morning (~7:30), do my 9k tempo run with my new Razors (to test them out on the treadmill so they're returnable in case of a bad fit), then go do my class from 9:30-11:30, then be on the road by 12. Did that happen? Of course not. I woke up feeling like crap after a terrible night's sleep, so when my alarm went off at 6:30, I ignored it. When it went off at 8:30 (for my class), I still felt like le crap and ended up cancelling my class with my student. When the alarm went off again at 10:30, I finally dragged myself out of bed and got packing in preparation to leave. All in all, it was not a good morning.
The reason we made the trip to visit Chris' aunt and uncle was to use the $500 gift certificate I won at the Magog triathlon back in the summer. Unfortunately, it was specifically for Specialized products and as we discovered when we got to the shop today, they only make bike products and being November, they didn't have too much available. I ended up getting new bike shoes (I still need to transfer the cleats from my old ones) as well as a jacket. I still had $150 left and it was supposed to expire at the end of 2011 but I explained my situation to the extremely helpful salesguy (ie. I live 5 hours away from the shop) and he issued me a new certificate ($150) but with no expiry date. So I'll probably come back in the spring when all the bike stuff is out.
After our shopping trip, I went on an 8km run. It was supposed to be an easy, 7:03/km run but I forgot how hilly the street is where Chris' aunt lives. It ended up being a lot more challenging than I anticipated, but I managed the following splits:
km1 - 6:55
km2 - 7:02
km3 - 6:53
km4 - 7:03
km5 - 6:52
km6 - 7:08
km7 - 7:03
km8 - 7:07
It was an out and back route, so it's pretty clear which kms had the uphills and which ones had the downhills. According to my Garmin, I covered 271m total ascent (272m total descent).
I've almost 100% made my decision to do the Ottawa marathon in May - I just need to find a training plan I'm happy with and that'll seal the deal!
Make the decision to do the Marathon! I think that I'm going to be doing my first in March!
ReplyDelete