Sunday, November 27, 2011

Slow and steady doesn't fall on their face (Streaking - Day 4)

Last night and throughout the day, it was freezing rain so I waited until tonight to go for my run. According to the forecast, it was supposed to warm up a bit with some rain, so I figured that would melt some of the ice. Nope. I went out and did the bare minimum to keep the streak alive (well, actually 1.71km/1.07 miles). I finished in 12:59, an excruciatingly slow pace but it was the only way to keep from slipping and falling on my face. I tried to run in the middle of the road where the cars had broken up the ice a little bit (and I can get away with it in the PMQs because of the limited traffic). But I did it. If it hadn't been for the streak, I would have taken three steps into the driveway before going back inside, so thank you fellow streakers for keeping me motivated. My knee was still bothering me a little, so I think the slow pace helped with that.
On another note, now that I'm officially registered for this marathon, I'm reconsidering the plan I'm going to use. Originally, I planned on using Higdon's Novice 2 but now I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to Intermediate 1. My logic is this: with the maintenance program I'm following right now, I'm averaging 34km/week. The Novice 2 plan starts with 31km/week, whereas the Intermediate 1 starts with 38km/week. I also like the idea of running 5 times/week, like I'm doing now. Also, as the mileage increases, my work schedule will decrease as my courses finish up (some as early as February). It's just a thought for now; I've got til January to decide.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Novice 2 plan as well. I have about 3 weeks before I test for my Series 7 again and the serious mid-week mileage doesn't start for a few weeks with that plan. Still trying to decide.

    ReplyDelete