Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 into 2012

After reading everyone's year-end recap, I figured I should write one of my own. But I'm going to keep this brief. 2011 was a year of firsts: first half marathon, first time in a bike club, first year taking running seriously. I did 3 half marathons - one in the pouring rain and freezing cold, another in the remnants of Hurricane Irene, and the last one (a PR) done on a whim in brand-new shoes. I also did a 20km race, a staircase challenge and a handful of triathlons. I'm extremely pleased with my mileage on the year (666 miles), despite a couple injuries.

For 2012, I want to do the following:
- do the Hamilton Around the Bay 30k
- complete my first marathon (preferably under 5 hours)
- do the Quebec City Staircase Challenge again
- participate in the Warrior Dash in my hometown
- focus more on running and less on triathlons
- do a couple half-marathons (and ideally break 2:00)
- do a few local 5ks and 10ks (since these races don't require pre-registration, I tend to succumb to my lazy side when the alarm goes off the morning of the race - don't do it!)
- get at least 1000 miles running on the year
- keep up with my calorie-counting (only 1 counting-free day per week)
- keep active 6 days/week with running and my other cross-training options (spinning/cycling, yoga, strength-training, P90x, Kinect fitness, etc)

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. You have some great goals set, all very achievable! I wish you the best in your effort to make them possible! And have fun while doing them! cheers to a happy & healthy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best time to add those 5 and 10Ks in is on the "recovery" weeks of your marathon plan, or in place of a speed workout. ...everything but one of these goals look GREAT...and you know the one to which I'm referring! :D

    2012 is going to ROCK!

    ReplyDelete