Tuesday, December 27, 2011

We're home!

After spending the last 10 or so days in Ontario, we're finally home! As always, I wish I could have stayed longer but we had to get home to our fur-babies.
Our stay in Kingston was interesting as usual. We met up with a friend and had some Curry Original for dinner. We were feeling brave so we ordered some chicken vindaloo - big mistake! Holy crap, that stuff is spicy!!! Chris thinks it must be some national joke on tourists/foreigners. I don't mind spicy food, but it wasn't even enjoyable to eat. It felt like something to get through rather than enjoy.
Our time in Barrie was mostly consumed by Christmas preparations. We had most of our stuff done, but Chris and I spent a lot of time assisting his family in buying their gifts. I did make it to the Running Room and I got some supportive insoles for my Progrid Razors, so hopefully that'll solve the knee problems and I'll still be able to use them. In between all the shopping and running around, I did find some time to meet up with old friends and get some of my to-do list done. I made sure to stop at Chapters to buy some English books. I bought the first book in the Hunger Games trilogy; I've heard some great things about it, so I'm excited to start reading it. I also bought a Classics book, Caesars' Wives, about the women of the emperors. So far it's very interesting. Yes, I am still a Latin geek at heart.
On to the Christmas gifts....I think the highlights of my year were the Classics Club jacket I got from my high school Latin teacher (and good friend too), and a personalized gym bag from my in-laws. My husband got an XBox Kinect, so I think it's safe to say that's his favourite gift. He went to Future Shop on Boxing Day to buy games for it; he got a fitness one (for me), a football game (for him) and a shooting game (apparently for us??? - not so sure about that one). I also got a foam-roller set from Chris, plus I splurged and bought myself a new pair of running shoes at the New Balance store in town. All in all, it was a pretty good Christmas and everyone seems happy with their gifts.
So, after spending 10 days speaking English and spending time with family and friends, we had to make the depressing 12-hour (we made it in 11 today!) drive back to French land aka Quebec. Sigh.

And, on the running front, I managed to squeeze in 4 runs of 2 miles each, the last couple of which were pain-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment