When I looked outside this morning, I saw that we had received a good 8 inches of snow overnight. There was a big pile of snow at the end of the driveway from where the plow had gone by, but other than that, there was nothing unusual. So I decided to get in my 2 miles (which I was supposed to have done yesterday, but with all the driving I was too tired by the time we got home) before things got too cold this afternoon. I should have checked the weather before I left; if I had, I would have realized that we were under a wind warning and that maybe today would have been a good treadmill day.
But no. It was -5*C/23*F with a windchill of -13*C/8*F, which at first glance doesn't seem too bad. However, the wind was blowing at 30km/h (19mph) with gusts in excess of 41km/h (26mph) coming in from the west. It was a miserable run. The streets are poorly plowed (~4 inches on the roads) so every step I took, my foot slipped a half step backwards and my average pace was close to 12min/mile as a result. I decided to take a short cut to get home a little faster and as it turned out, the path across the field wasn't plowed. By the time I realized it, I was committed to taking it, so I pushed through into the wind and ran through the 8 inches of snow. By the time I got home, I couldn't feel my face.
I got it done though - 2.13 miles in 25:19.
OH MY GOSH!!! That's just insane! No way I would have held up against that. You deserve a medal, or at the very least a cookie! :D
ReplyDelete