Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tour du Silence

It's been a busy few days, mostly dominated by progress reports.
After work on Monday, I went to the gym to do a quick run (8km) before I went to see one of my students (private class). Tuesday was a long day; 3 classes during the day then Les Gazelles at night. For this ride, we went out to the Parc des Laurentides and we climbed the first few hills. Some of the ladies decided to turn back a bit sooner because they had to be back for a certain time, so I decided to join them. I hadn't slept well the night before and as a result, I was really tired and I found the ride more difficult than usual. Plus, Chris was waiting for me at Walmart (after his football practice) and I still had a few progress reports to write. I finished the last one around 11pm, then I spent an hour or so editing them before I sent them off.
Tonight was another outing with Les Gazelles but it was a special event, Le Tour du Silence. It's a group ride that takes place all over the world at the same time to honour cyclists who have died on the road. Les Gazelles took responsibility for organizing it this year, so I went early to help with registration. Chris had two practices tonight, which meant he needed the car all evening, so I biked to the meeting spot. I helped register people and I gave out bracelets to all the participants. The ride was open to everyone, including kids, so it was a fairly slow pace. We biked a total of 18km, out towards the park and back. There were literally hundreds of participants and the police directed traffic through the intersections for us. It was quite an impressive sight. Afterwards, I biked home. Because of the pace differences between when I was biking alone and the group ride, it was a perfect opportunity to experiment with the Lap feature on my Garmin. This way, I can look at data from the 3 different parts of the ride separately.
Tomorrow is going to be an easy day in preparation for my long run on Friday night. There's also a May 2-4 party this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment