The weather here has taken a sudden turn for the cold. Most of the day, the temperature has been hovering around 6*C (~43*F for American folks) and they're expecting it to drop below 0*C (32*F) overnight. I did a quick 3km around the PMQs this afternoon. I tried to keep to the suggested pace (7:03/km) but it was difficult because of the cold; I kept running faster, both to warm up and to get the run over with quicker. I was definitely glad I wore a sweater and not a short-sleeved shirt because it was chilly. Thankfully, I didn't experience any burning-lung, as I often do when I run in the cold. I imagine by the time January rolls around, 6* will feel like summer and I'll be out there in shorts.
The next few weekends are looking promising. Next weekend, we're off to South Bend, Indiana to watch the Notre Dame Fighting Irish take on the U.S. Air Force Academy (college football, in case you're wondering). The weekend after that, we have the Winter Ball at the Officer's Mess on base (aka getting dressed up and eating fancy food - there'll even be a 22-piece orchestra!). After that, I have the year-end dinner for my bike club. October is shaping up to be a good month.
On a random note, Mika has started doing something funny. Sometimes, when she is playing with Kona, Kona will decide she's had enough and walk away. However, Mika decides that she's not done and she'll bite Kona's tail and won't let her get away. It's hard to describe but it's really funny!
On another unrelated note, I am peeved with Glee at the moment. They have introduced a new character who claims she has Asperger's and uses it as an excuse for her inappropriate comments. For those of you who may not know, Asperger's is a complex social disorder that's actually a form of Autism. My brother has this condition so I'm well aware of how it affects his everyday life. One of the symptoms is an inability to pick up on social cues (ie. body language, tone of voice) and they're often not able to see the potential effects their words and actions might have on someone. If you don't know that someone has this condition, they often come across as a jerk. Anyways, this character will say something offensive, then immediately apologize by saying "oops, Asperger's". My beef with this is that someone who truly has Asperger's would not be aware that their comment is offensive. By apologizing, this character acknowledges her comment was inappropriate and therefore it's not Asperger's. For all the effort that Glee puts in to preaching about bullying and the fair treatment of gay people and handicapped people, for them to turn around and mock a legitimate mental illness - it's unacceptable in my books. Mental illness is never a joke.
No comments:
Post a Comment