Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What a day...

Yesterday, I went on my Gazelles ride in the evening. I decided to join one of the 28km/h pelotons, just to see how it was. Holy man. They may have called themselves a 28 group, but we averaged 30.3km/h over 55km. I was pretty tired when I got home, but I still had a bunch of progress reports to write plus I needed to make dinner. As per Chris' request, I made a pot roast with baked potatoes and roasted asparagus. The baked potato was amazing - it's been a long time since I've had one (mostly because they're ~250 calories apiece). The roasted asparagus was also good, but unfortunately I mistimed when the pot roast would be done, so it was quite overcooked. The piece that Chris had seemed to be ok, but mine was really chewy and I ended up giving it to the dogs. I wrote progress reports until about 1, 1:30 but I finished all the ones that needed to be done, edited them and sent them off.
With those ones finished, there are 2 groups worth left to write (21 reports). I was planning on getting up this morning and spending most of the day writing, but no such luck. I woke up with a wicked migraine, which knocked me out for most of the day. I slept until about noon and I woke up when Chris came home. I decided to take one of my migraine attack pills, since sleeping it off didn't seem to be working. Unfortunately, this pill makes me feel really dizzy and fuzzy, so when Chris went back to work, I went back to bed.
While I was up over lunch, I decided to take care of a problem I'm having with an Amazon package I ordered. Normally, Amazon packages are sent via Canada Post, so they go to our post office box, where we can pick them up. However, for whatever reason, they decided to send it by UPS, which gets delivered to the house directly. I didn't know this when I placed the order, so I didn't add the house address. I checked the tracking information and it said that the package was in Jonquiere but that I needed to contact UPS (likely to give them the house address). So I called and they gave me the option of picking it up myself in Jonquiere. They said they would call me to let me know when it was available; I received a call at lunch that it was ready to be picked up today before 6pm. When Chris came home, we drove over to Jonquiere to get it, with the appropriate documentation. However, the lady at the depot was a royal bitch to me. I tried to explain the situation to her (in French, of course) but she refused to listen to me. She was convinced that she knew what was going on (which she didn't) and I got the impression that because my French wasn't perfect, obviously I didn't know what I was talking about and I couldn't possibly be right. She went on about how it would be ready tomorrow, something about a fax and 24 hours notice, none of which made any sense, especially since I had received a call saying it was ready. I tried to press the issue and explain the situation again, but she ignored me and started helping the other customers. Oh man, I was so angry. When I got home, I called UPS again and they confirmed that the package was there, ready for pick-up. They said I could go back tomorrow and try again, which I told them I wasn't going to do for 2 reasons: a) it takes ~45min to go there and back and with the price of gas, I'm not wasting my time and money again, and b) I'm not dealing with that woman again. So they're going to try to deliver it again tomorrow. Except that I'll be gone in the morning, so I have no idea when I'll actually get my books. I also called Amazon to let them know what's going on. They apologized for the inconvenience and hey, I get $5 off my next order.
After all this, I decided to go to the gym for a run; Chris dropped me off on his way to football practice. I did 11km in about 66min then walked home in the rain, which was surprisingly nice. On the menu for dinner tonight was vegetarian chili, which I prepared in the slow cooker before I went for my run. Nothing special, but it was really satisfying and it yields lots of left-overs.
As for my progress reports, I still have 21 to go. Because of my migraine, I didn't get anything accomplished, so I'll be writing all day tomorrow. I have a class from 9-11am, so it's going to be tight. If I submit them on Friday, I don't think it'll be the end of the world. But they certainly have to be done before the BBQ on Friday night. I'm not going until I finish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment