Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Post-race recovery

Oh man, it's been a rough couple a days. I was fully expecting my legs to be sore for a couple days. Not the case at all. It's my stomach that's been the problem. As I mentioned before, I was quite sick immediately after the race and I've been having stomach pains ever since.
On Sunday, after Chris' parents came home from the air show, I was feeling much better, not 100% but better, so we went out for dinner at Rouge Burger Bar. The meal was awesome. We all shared a RBB poutine (they have excellent fries) and I split a burger with Chris' mom. A little while after we got home, I decided to go for a quick recovery run around the neighbourhood. I was planning to go for about 5km and I took Kona with me, just for fun. 2.5km in, I had to go home because I was doubling over in pain. These same sort of pains have persisted on and off since then and I spent most of today on the couch. As a result, I have not done any runs or bike rides since Sunday night and unfortunately, I missed my Gazelles ride tonight. I didn't want to take any chances with my stomach because knowing my luck, I'd have issues at the farthest point from home. I'll probably make up the ride on Thursday instead.
For dinner tonight, I made a buffalo chicken salad which I wrapped up in tortillas. It was quick, easy and tasty. I made a mistake in my calorie-counting throughout the day and I ended up ~150 calories over. Combine that with my lack of exercise these past couple days and I'm going to have to kick things up a notch for the rest of the week. I'm also preparing for another race this weekend, a 20km in Lac Brome. So far, the weather looks much better, low of 13, high of 23 with only a 20% chance of precipitation. Mind you, that can change at any moment but I'm crossing my fingers. I think I'll enjoy this race much more, not just because of the weather, but because it's a continuous race. In the Jonquiere race, it was an uninspired 3km loop, 7 times over and towards the end, it became just as much of a mental battle as a physical one. The Tour de Lac Brome is exactly what is sounds like - you run around the lake. No laps, no repetition. Plus, there are typically over 1000 participants so the chances of me finishing in dead last, like I did in Jonquiere, are fairly limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment