Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A day of firsts

This morning, I woke up feeling much better. Still not 100% but at least I was able to get stuff done today. I got caught up on all the chores that I'd let slide the last couple days and then in the afternoon, I met a friend to play golf. This was my first time golfing so I wasn't sure what to expect. We practised at the driving range for a while, which was so much fun - you get to hit stuff! I'm still not sure if I golf right- or left-handed, but the girl at the counter suggested I try right since I bat right. It took a while to get used to the whole "swing" thing but I did manage to hit it past the 100-yard marker a few times. Then we went to the par 3 course, which has 9 holes of about 100 yards each. It was perfect for my skill level. I actually managed to finish one of the holes in exactly 3 strokes. It was a lot of fun since we weren't playing very seriously (and we weren't keeping score, thank goodness). I learned a lot about the different kinds of clubs, what they do and when to use them. I was pretty good at the putting, though I discovered that I putt left-handed. Weird. Overall, it was a great way to spend an afternoon and cheap too.
For dinner tonight, I made a cheese risotto and a big-ass salad (yeah, that's actually what I'm calling it). This was my first risotto and it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. It took about half an hour to make (lots of stirring) and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. I was also surprised at its calorie value; now, it's rice so it's not exactly low-cal but it was much lower that I expected. For the salad, I basically went through the fridge and grabbed all the vegetables that needed to get eaten, chopped them up, then added nectarines and dried cranberries. It ended up yielding 1.2kg of salad (hence the name "big-ass" salad), so there's plenty leftover for tomorrow.
After watching the hockey game (not talking about that), I went for a run (6km). One of the features of my Garmin is that you can race against a previous run, so I decided to give that a try. I pulled up the route from last Thursday (my last 6km around the Q's) and it even tells you in which direction to go, in case you've forgotten the route. I beat my previous time by over a minute, finishing with a time of 34:16.

No comments:

Post a Comment