This whole unemployed business is really a drag. I remember being so anxious for my contract to finish and now that it has, I'm bored out of my mind. I think my biggest problem is the lack of routine. I don't really have any commitments motivating me to get stuff done most days. That's something I'll need to work on, but for the next few weeks it'll be tough. Once Chris has his surgery, things should calm down a bit.
Yesterday I went on a ride with Les Gazelles. I seriously considered not going because of the stiffness in my legs but I don't like missing the sorties so I went anyways. It was a long ride, about 60km, with rolling hills but nothing major. I could really feel the fatigue in my legs though. We were delayed considerably because one of the girls got a flat tire. After some fiddling, they got the old tube out and a new one in, but unfortunately the tube ended up exploding after they pumped it up. So they had to take it out and change it again. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue but the flies were eating us alive! I'm completely covered in bug bites. I actually have a welt on my head that looks as though I hit my skull off something. I was so happy when we finally got moving again.
As much as I enjoy the rides, I'm getting a little frustrated with some members of the group. There are different peletons that ride at different speeds for a reason. I joined the 26km/h group because I know I cannot sustain 30km/h for the length of the rides they go on - I'm just not at that point yet. I appreciate that at times we will go faster (ie. downhills, flats) and at times slower (ie. hills) but it should still average to about 26. I'm finding that we are racing the entire time at 30+km/h (and not just like 32, I mean 36, 38km/h at times). Last night's ride averaged 28.3km/h and that's after my group slowed the pace considerably on the way back (we split into 2 groups at the halfway point). I like riding with our group leader because she makes an effort to keep the pace reasonable, but when she's not there, I feel like there's this constant pressure to go faster. I'm also getting annoyed with the way that some of them talk to me. I don't know if it's because of the language barrier or because of my age, but at times they can be quite condescending. I'm not a child, so don't talk to me like one. It's very discouraging and frustrating too because all I can really do is internalize it and say all the things I'd like to say in my head. Sometimes I say stuff in English once we're riding so they can't actually hear it, but it's not the same.
Today was a fairly lazy day. I decided to skip my run today to give my legs a chance to recover. Instead, I mowed the backyard. I hate the push mower. It's falling apart, the handle is wobbly and it gets jammed every 3 feet. I hate, I hate it, I hate it. I hated it even more today because this was a job Chris was supposed to have done before he left and instead he left it for me. And there was one section with really tall grass that was almost impossible to do. I was planning on doing the front yard too, but after the handle broke for the millionth time, I said screw it, went inside and took a shower.
I'm noticing that one of the ways I'm coping with my boredom is by eating and that's not good. Today I went over my calorie limit by 300. You would think that with all this time on my hands, I would cook some good meals. Nope. To me, it's just not worth it to spend, say, an hour cooking something and 10 minutes eating it; I much prefer cooking for other people. Instead, I just graze all day and end up eating way more than I planned. I guess I'll just have to go to the gym tomorrow morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment