Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's been a while...Operation: Clean House + Half-Marathon Race Report

So here's what you missed in the life of Caitlyn:

Wednesday the 8th:
Workouts: none - I decided to let my legs recover from all the biking this week
Food Cooked: black bean quesadillas and cheddar and leek soup
Verdict: a lot of work for a lot of calories
Anything Else of Note: nope

Thursday the 9th:
Workouts: 6km superfast run after the potluck; time: 35:24
Food Cooked: farfalle with lemon, pine nuts and parmesan, for my friend's potluck dinner
Verdict: they told me to make it way before we actually ate, so it ended up getting cold and had to be reheated, so I was disappointed with the taste
Anything Else: Operation: Clean House has commenced. Chris' parents are coming to stay with us for the weekend and the house really needed a good cleaning. I spent a good 4 hours scrubbing the floor in the entrance and living room. This flooring is the cheapest crap out there. Apparently, it's laminate, but as far as I'm concerned, it's basically wallpaper on the floor. To make it seem more wood-like, there are textured grooves, which make it look nothing like wood and are great for trapping dirt. So every six months or so, I have to get down on my hands and knees and scrub the dirt out with a nail brush. Very tedious, very boring, but the floor does look great. Unfortunately, once you start, you're committed to doing the whole floor; otherwise, it's pretty clear where you stopped.

Friday the 10th:
Workouts: none
Food Cooked: none. Chris came home late, around 9, because of the air show prep. He was tired, hungry and grumpy, as was I from cleaning the house all day. So we went to Chez Paulo and had poutine and pepperoni pizza.
Verdict: best idea ever
Anything Else: After meeting up with a friend for coffee in the morning, Operation: Clean House continued all day. By the time we went to bed, I had gotten the house to an acceptable level of clean. I was caught up on the laundry and dishes, plus I vacuumed and mopped the house, cleaned all the marks off the walls, cleaned the bathroom, tidied everywhere (esp. my office) and got rid of a lot of garbage.

Saturday the 11th:
Workouts: Les Gazelles ride in the morning. We left from the Holiday Inn in Jonquiere and went for 75km down to Lac Kenogami, up to Larouche and back to Jonquiere via the 170. Everything was going fairly well until I got a flat tire about 35km in. I have a flat kit, but really no idea how to change a tire. Thankfully, our group ran into some guy (Eric aka my new hero) that one of the ladies knew and he tagged along with our group. He was able to change my tire and one of the ladies gave me a cartridge to pump it up. On Monday, I have an appointment to get my bike tuned up, so I'll have to remember to buy a new tube and some cartridges. As far as timing and tracking, I forgot my Garmin, which I was really annoyed about, but I figured that at least I had my bike computer. However, when Eric took off the back wheel to fix the tire, he must have bumped the sensor because I had no readings. After 5km later, we stopped at a depanneur so some of the girls could fill up their water bottles, so I had the chance to fix it. In the end, I figure we went about 75km in about 3 hours.
Food Cooked: Chris' parents arrived mid-afternoon, so I prepared some "chicken wings". You take chicken breasts, cut them into wing-sized pieces, cover them with Frank's hot sauce, then coat them with ground-up Fibre One crumbs. For dinner, I made spaghetti with a roasted cherry tomato sauce, topped with goat cheese. It turned out quite well and everyone seemed to like it. With it, I made a salad and for dessert, blueberries with chocolate frozen yogurt.
Anything Else: Once Chris got home, the four of us went to Parc Riviere du Moulin to go canoeing. I had bought passes on Friday but as it turned out, the boat rentals for free for the day. It was an enjoyable outing and the weather was really nice.

Sunday the 12th:
Workouts: Half Marathon de Saguenay. First, it rained. Not a nice mist or light rain - it poured. By the end of the first kilometre, I was soaked. The temperature was quite low so I was freezing throughout most of the race and it was a bit windy. The course was a 3km loop that you did 7 times. For the first 5 laps, things were going fairly well, all things considered. I maintained a consistent pace (20 min/lap). The 6th lap is when things started to go downhill. My legs and arms starting tingling from the cold and I was beginning to lose sensation. Thankfully, Chris' mom was able to give me a jacket to wear, which helped but I was already beyond soaked at this point. The 7th lap was brutal. I had to run/walk most of it because I couldn't feel my legs anymore. I ended up finishing in 2:24:39. Not a bad time for my first half-marathon, but if the weather had been nicer I think I could have broken 2:15. Afterwards, they served some food in the school. They had salad, Saguenay tortiere and cake. I was starving and the tortiere was really warm, so I stuffed my face. Big mistake. When I got home, my stomach started to revolt. I ended up puking up everything I ate post-race, plus I spent a lot of time in the bathroom, if you know what I mean. Instead of going to the airshow, I decided to take a nap on the couch. At one point, I woke up and Mika had jumped up on the couch (which she's not allowed to do) and curled up in the crook of my legs. Kona was sleeping on the floor beside the couch, as if they knew I wasn't feeling well. It was really cute.
Food Cooked: For dinner tonight, we're going to Rouge Burger Bar. Yay!

Whew. That's it for today. I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment