Monday, January 16, 2012

Marathon training, day 1 - Yay!!!

3 days of running in a row - it's been a long time since I've done that.
Saturday was an easy 3-miler on the treadmill. We were under a windchill warning all weekend, so running outside was out of the question. -36*C/-33*F will make your face freeze in a matter of minutes and I have no desire to have a frostbitten face. I also got the pleasure of shoveling because some idiot decided to install our furnace exhaust 6 inches off the ground. In case you haven't noticed, winter happens here. As I discovered on the coldest day of the year, the furnace won't work if there's snow blocking the vent; since we got about 20cm of snow overnight, you can see why this would be a problem. Chris has been restricted to walking only if necessary (because of his unresolved knee problems) so shoveling is out of the question for him. That leaves it to me, she of the bad back (thanks RMC library). I had so much fun shoveling out the vent and then the car and finally the driveway. I repeat - f**k you, winter. F**k you.
Sunday was my longest run since the beginning of October. I did 7 miles nice and slow; it took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. In the evening, I tried out my new Kinect game, the 2012 version of Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. At Christmas, we bought the original version but it was really disappointing. After reading a bunch of reviews, I decided it was worth it to give the new one a shot and holy man, it's not even the same game. So much better! I really enjoyed the Bollywood dance class and they improved all the things that frustrated me before.
Tonight was an easy 3-mile recovery run. Nothing too special to report, other than it was my first day of marathon training!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your training! I was laughing my A$$ off about shoveling out the furnace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on starting your marathon training. Are you following a formalized plan or just kind of winging it ? There's a lot of good books out there that help explain some of the theories behind the training. It got a little overwhelming for me, and I don't do so well with structured plans, but it's been really enjoyable. I have gotten to know myself in a way that I never imagined. I hope you experience the same kind of discoveries !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to add my congratulations as well to you on your initial steps on the marathon journey. I'm on the same journey myself, and my "day in the sun" is getting closer each day (about 37 days to go). Best of luck to you moving forward..!

    ReplyDelete