The race itself (La Jakours) is part of a local race circuit of about 20 races in the region. The vast majority of the runners are members of running clubs and they're all ridiculously hard-core. One thing I've noticed here is that no one does anything for fun - it's all taken super seriously and there isn't a lot of room for amateurs.
Before the start, I ran into one of my students from the tax centre so we chatted a bit while we waited. I couldn't hear a darn word the race director was saying at the beginning because everyone was talking and then all of a sudden the gun sounded and we were off. It was a 2.5km loop through a residential neighbourhood and it was pretty much flat the whole way. I did almost get hit by someone backing out of their driveway - not cool, people.
Compared to all the distance running I've been doing over the last year, this race went by so fast. I don't really remember too many details, to be honest. I pushed as hard as I thought I could get away with, without killing myself before the end. And it worked! As soon as I saw the finish line, I gave it everything I had left and finished in 27:18 (Garmin time). There was one girl I was neck-and-neck with for the last mile, but sadly she pulled away just before the finish and I couldn't catch her. Oh well. I'm really pleased with my time. Normally it takes me about 30min to do 5km, with 28:22 being my best time, so this is a huge improvement. I finished 5th in my age group and 74/97 overall.
Congratulations on your first 5k! (Seems kind of funny to be saying that, given your race credentials - but a 1st is a 1st!) :-)
ReplyDeleteah so fun!!! congrats!!
ReplyDeleteI love 5k races! As I'm working my way to completing my first half marathon this May, I'm starting to think that short distance races are going to be more my niche. But maybe I'm wrong. At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed your first ever 5k! They can become addicting, though. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you...GREAT time, but especially since you are in the middle of training for a marathon. I think you could certainly break 25 if you wanted to and trained for it! GOOD JOB!!! :D
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Shorter races definitely have their own challenges. The shorter faster distances will certainly help you with your marathon!
ReplyDelete