Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Kingston

We arrived in Kingston yesterday afternoon after a long drive. In Quebec, this week and next week are what they call "construction holidays". In theory, as the name implies, it's when the construction workers in the province take their vacation. Apparently 1/3 of Quebec workers also take their holidays during this time with the idea that travel will be easier with no construction being done. Despite this, we drove through no less than 5 active construction sites in Quebec. Construction holidays, my ass. We were hoping to arrive in time for me to attend a hot yoga class at 4:30, but we didn't. Instead, I went swimming in the hotel pool for about an hour. For dinner, we met up with one of Chris' friends and we went to the Amadeus, a German restaurant downtown. I splurged a bit and had chicken cordon bleu, which was a lot of food but really good. After that, we saw Horrible Bosses at the movie theatre - hilarious, in case you're wondering.
This morning was Chris' appointment with the surgeon. We were in and out in about two hours, but the final verdict was more surgery. He wasn't too pleased with what he saw. We could wait for it to heal on its own, which would take a long time and Chris would have to keep taking antibiotics the whole time OR he could go in and fix it with surgery. Chris was supposed to have the operation tonight, but they called us and said it would be first thing tomorrow morning. Of course, we didn't get this message until Chris had already been fasting for several hours and had become extremely grumpy from lack of food.
After the appointment, I went to a hot yoga class at noon. I bought a week pass so I can go as many times as I like in the next 7 days. I've taken a couple hot yoga classes before, at Christmas with Chris' mom, and I really enjoyed them. However, this Bikrams class kicked my ass! It was so hot, I sweated enough to soak an entire bath towel (disgusting, I know). It was 90min of hell-like torture. The poses themselves were alright but the heat was unbearable. I kept feeling faint and there weren't enough breaks to drink and mop up sweat. The instructor was a little strange in that she administered the class like an auctioneer - literally. Anyways, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Now I'm debating if I want to go back for another class....On the way home from yoga, I stopped at the farmer's market and bought some strawberries and blueberries - so good!
In the afternoon, we wandered around downtown Kingston looking for a new purse (for me, obviously). No luck, sadly. People, I'm looking for a purse - not an overnight bag! What is it with these ginormous bags??? We also stopped at Lululemon where I bought an awesome pair of running shorts and an equally awesome pair of running crops (for cooler weather). A tad expensive, but I really like how they fit on me and it's really hard for me to fit clothes that I like, so I jumped on them. Last time we were in Kingston, I placed a custom jewellery order to replace my wedding ring, which was destroyed a year and a half ago (by a jeweller in Chicoutimi - long story). We stopped by the shop and it was ready! My initial reaction to it was actually disappointment because it didn't turn out quite how I envisioned it but it's growing on me. The stones are much larger and more prominent than on my old ring and since I'm pretty low-key when it comes to jewellery, it was a bit of a shock to see something so bold on my finger. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm sure it'll be okay.
In the late afternoon, I ran over to Fort Henry to do some hill repeats. For those of you familiar with Kingston, you know that the road up to Fort Henry is a long, uphill climb (approx. 700m, top to bottom). I ran up and down this hill 4 times, which is no small feat. I was actually surprised that I wasn't more tired by the end, but then I ran back into downtown for a total of 9km in 57:28 - not a bad time, considering the hills.
For dinner, we ordered take-out from Curry Original. One of the many things missing in the Saguenay is a good Indian restaurant. So when we come to Kingston, we always make a point to stop by. We got the usual - chicken madras, curried vegetables, rice, na'an and raita - and ate it on the floor of the hotel. I'm so full, it's not even funny! It was so good though!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment