Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chris' knee surgery

Just a quick update to let you know that we travelled to Kingston on Tuesday for Chris' knee surgery. The hotel we stayed in was really nice and it had a lap pool on the 4th pool. I had planned to go running twice, go swimming at least once plus go to a hot yoga class, but sadly none of that happened. After we arrived and got settled in, we went to Lonestar, which is a tex-mex restaurant downtown. I love their frozen margaritas and Tuesday was the perfect day to sit on the patio, have a strawberry margarita and eat chips with queso dip. Tuesday night we met up with one of Chris' good friends who lives/goes to school in Kingston and we went out for dinner with him.
Chris' surgery was scheduled for 8am Wednesday morning, which meant we had to be at the hospital for 6am. We got bounced around from waiting room to waiting room until it was finally time for him to go in. I brought a running magazine and my crocheting with me to work on. I was fully anticipating being there all day, so I came prepared. Last time, they called me in around noon and they let him go around 3. This time, however, I got the call before 11 and he was out of the hospital by 12. It was a slow and painful process to get him down the elevator and into the car, but we made it. Our hotel room was on the 9th floor and we parked in the 2nd level of the underground parking garage, so we had about 11 floors to go up in the elevator. Unfortunately, this caused Chris to feel extremely nauseous and I tried to get him into the room as quickly as I could, but we didn't make it in time. I couldn't get the stupid swipe key to work and he ended up puking in the hallway and on the door, so the janitor had to come and clean things up. Chris spent most of the rest of the day in bed so I took the opportunity to take a nap.
Chris' parents decided to come to Kingston for dinner to see how Chris was doing. We also called Chris' friend and we all went out to dinner at a new pasta place downtown. I thoroughly enjoyed my cheese tortellini. However, Chris began to overheat in the restaurant and he started to feel sick, so he went outside and puked in the street. Poor guy. The problem was that he was taking his pain killers on an empty stomach but he wasn't able to keep any food down because of the after-effects of the anesthesia. I got him a chocolate milkshake afterwards and that seemed to help. After Chris' parents went home, we went to see the movie Bridesmaids (a good, minimal-movement-required activity for Chris). It was so funny! I think Chris enjoyed it more than he let on.
Today, after checking out of the hotel, we went to the base hospital in Kingston to have Chris' sick leave paperwork sorted out. We also stopped by The Goat to pick up some coffee for some friends of ours who used to live in Kingston but live in New Brunswick now. After a quick lunch, we headed out for Montreal. Thankfully, Chris' stomach had settled down and we didn't have any problems during the drive, aside from ridiculous amounts of construction. When we arrived, we spent some time with almost all Chris' aunts, uncles and cousins on his mother's side. The only relatives we didn't see today, we will see tomorrow when we pick up Chris' cousins in Lac Brome. It was great to see everyone and they all signed Chris' cast. He is getting lots of attention from his relatives, especially his grandmother, so he's being well taken care of. He said he feels better today than he did the day after the surgery last time, so that's promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment